SS Cavalry in Transit
SS Cavalry in Transit

The SS Cavalry Brigade can trace its origin to the SS Totenkopf Horse Regiment, which was raised in September 1939, for Policing in Poland. By April 1940, it consisted of 8 Saber Squadrons, 9th Replacement, 10th Heavy and 11th Technical Squadrons and a 12th Horse Battery of four 80mm guns. In May it was divided into two regiments, SS Totenkopf Horse Regiments 1 & 2, each of four squadrons, 5th Heavy and 6th Horse Battery also included were Signals, Engineer and Motorcycle platoons. In March 1941 they were renamed SS Cavalry Regiments 1 and 2 and reformed again into 1st, 2nd and 3rd Saber Squadrons, 4th Machine Gun, 5th Mortar and Infantry Gun , 6th Technical, 7th and 8th Squadrons. In August 1941, the two regiments were formally created into the SS Cavalry Brigade under the command of Fegelein. Personnel were taken from the saber squadrons to form the brigade's Artillery, Engineer and Bicycle (Reconnaissance) Squadron's. They were also given a Light Anti-Aircraft Battery. The Brigade now had a strength of 3,500 men 2,900 horses and 375 vehicles.